Principles: How To Build A Strong Foundation
In the last blog post about the letters of the EQUIPPING acronym we discussed the first “I” which stands for Identity. Today we are looking at the first “P” which represents Principles. The order of these letters in key. Until we engage in a relationship with God, answered the big questions we encounter in life, gained understanding, and know our identity in Christ, we can’t live out the principles we find in Scripture.
Whether we can clearly articulate them or not, people generally make decisions based off a set of principles. These principles can stem from the way they see the world, experience, family sayings, self interest, and many other sources.
As Christian business professionals, were should be find the principles that we live our lives according to? This article will explore the answer to that question, and provide Scripture passages for reflection and study as you build your solid foundation of Biblical principles.
The Formula for Living a Principled Life
“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.” – Matthew 7:24-25
From this Bible passage we see two practical actions to take as we build a strong foundation of Biblical principles.
- We must hear the words of God. What we read shouldn’t be going in ear and out the other without making any meaningful impact on our minds and hearts
- We must put the words of God into practice. We may read about loving our neighbor as ourself, but until we practice this in real life, we won’t make any progress towards building a firm foundation based on the eternal truth of God’s word.
Let’s unpack these points a little more.
First: Listen to (or Read) Truth
We cannot know truth unless we hear it. One of the most practical ways to consistently absorb truth is to read (or listen to) the Bible daily. This routine offers a beneficial way to build lasting knowledge of Biblical principles.
Why can’t we read the Bible once and move on? Well, one characteristic of human beings is their propensity to be forgetful. We remember things better through repetition, writing notes, and speaking them aloud. The consistent presence of Scripture on our lives through reading, memorization, and note-taking allows us to truly know and recall the principles God has laid out for us in His word.
However, knowing and remembering God’s principles isn’t enough. We must also put into practice what we read and remember.
Second: Practice Biblical Principles
Not only do we need to hear the words of God and absorb them into our thought processes, we must put them into practice. Only as we live out Biblical principles in our lives will our foundation be strong.
Hearing truth and putting it into practice creates a foundation built on the strongest rock, one that will hold up a house in the stormiest of weather.
God is that rock; are you building the house of your life on the slippery sand of your own reasoning, or are you building if firmly on the rock of God’s truth?
Passages for Reflection and Study
Here are some Biblical principles to study, reflect upon, and apply in your life. Add to this list as you read and meditate on the Word of God each day. An excellent place to start when looking for Biblical principles is the book of Proverbs. Each chapter is chock full of sound principles for wise living.
- Integrity – “The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.” – Proverbs 11:3
- Seeking Counsel – “Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.” – Proverbs 15:22
- Prayer – “But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.” – James 1:5
What would you add to this list from your Bible study? Comment below!
Tools and Resources
- Download the AFB Bible App provided by Back to the Bible for a simple way to keep equipping yourself with the true principles of scripture throughout the day
- RightNow Media @ Work has an extensive video library of content designed to help you life life in light of Biblical principles. Setup your free account by texting RIGHTNOW AFB to 41411
- Read other articles in the EQUIPPING series: Engage | Questions | Understanding | Identity